We are committed to building a community of engaged scholars to teach, learn and practice skills to become change leaders.
As part of the Office of Research and Engagement, NC State Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship serves as a vibrant laboratory to practice impact-focused innovation and entrepreneurship. Our goals are to:
- Educate and empower students and faculty in new methodologies to improve the human condition.
- Transform existing organizations, businesses and structures to be more innovative, sustainable and effective change agents.
- Link and channel campus and community resources to create powerful opportunities for learning and social impact.
- Support campus and community social entrepreneurs and create social enterprises.
We embody the university’s commitment to Think and Do the Extraordinary. Moreover, we raise the bar and challenge our students, stakeholders and ourselves to Think and Do Good. In order to cultivate an inclusive, entrepreneurial spirit on campus, we:
- Invest in multi-disciplinary cross-campus relationships in order to infuse innovation in both theory and practice.
- Are a vital member of the university’s Entrepreneurship Alliance
- Embrace the UN Sustainable Development Goals as a guiding framework.
- Provide adaptive, experiential learning opportunities anchored in systems-level, human-centered, empathetic thinking.
Social Innovation Fellows
The Social Innovation Fellows program is a year-long, team-based learning experience in which NC State students consider their impact on humanity and our planet. During the program, students partner with nonprofits and other organizations to seek solutions to global challenges.
Social Venture Development
We provide students with guidance and support for their social ventures. With many different entrepreneurial competitions throughout the year, our office offers coaching and development planning. We’re also available to meet with students about their ideas, designs and business plans.
Clinton Global Initiative University
The Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) program is a leadership education and empowerment program launched by President Bill Clinton to engage the next generation of leaders on college campuses around the world. This prestigious experience activates students through year-round programming that includes access to topic experts and change agents, mentorship networks, financial resources, and community events including the annual CGI U meeting.
Social Entrepreneur in Residence
The Social Entrepreneur in Residence works with us to help bring social innovation to NC State. Past titleholders include Aly Khalifa, design entrepreneur and NC State University alum, and Melissa Carrier, Director at the Office of Social Innovation at Innovate Carolina.
COMx is a dynamic, panel-style external event that is offered once per semester for students, faculty and community leaders. COMx provides informal networking and sharing of expertise across business and social sectors — and builds a common language and potential sustainable relationships.
Dinners With Purpose
Held once a semester, Dinners With Purpose feature amazing social entrepreneurs such as Mina Girgis of The Nile Project and Robin Emmons of Sow Much Good. Speakers give talks and answer questions from students, community members and staff. These catered events are always inspiring and exciting for all who attend.